Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Saga Of The Filthy Whore

I picked up this fine piece of machinery last summer for a good price. I needed a decent road bike to commute back and forth to work with, and she fit the bill. She's an '80 FXWG with a "mild" motor, or so I thought. Well, the slut starts burning a little oil out of the front cylinder (after a year and a half of being ridden HARD), so I was hoping it was only valve stem seals. Anyway, I tear into her like a coke fiend on pay day, only to find a cracked intake valve guide. I'm gonna re-cut the seats, so I figure I'll take a look at the bottom end. Grab your britches junior, the whole fucker's all S&S! I could still see a fresh hone job in the cylinders. I decided this baby's a keeper, hence an entire rebuild and a slew of parts, paint, etc. She won't be my "the weather looks shitty out, I'll take the 'glide out bike" anymore.



Here's a pic after a couple months of owning her. Originally, she had buckhorns, a road sofa of a seat, and a lot dents, broken tank mounts, etc. She was a bit of a mess, but nothing major. I took care of the body work and gave her a fresh coat of flat black. At this point, she was still gonna be my daily commuter bike. Like any other filthy whore, this gal has a sordid past which I will eventually get into as I post the rebuild pics.

0 comments: