Monday, December 7, 2009

Dec.7th. Slap a Jap Day!


The term Jap Slap could probably be traced back to this very day in 1941. It was a term I heard when I was knee high to grasshopper. My family has fought in almost every war this country has gotten themselves into. My grandfather would tell me stories of WWII, mostly of the good times and hi-jinx in the barracks, never any of  the real gritty stuff that went down. He would tell me stories for hours and we'd laugh our asses off.  I miss him a lot. Take a minute to remember the men and women who fought back today and those who perished.
On a side note, my wife and I went to the Memorial during our honeymoon. For me it was on my list of things to do before I kick the bucket. If it doesn't bring a tear to your eye standing over the watery graves, your not human. One thing that really pissed me off was Americans were laughing and having a grand ol' time above the USS Arizona. You are basically in a cemetary, not Disneyland. I'm not talking about kids either, these were adults. And one thing that really left an impression on me was the Japanese tourists would put wreaths and flowers in the water. That definately showed some class and respect.
Remember a heroe today, no matter what war they fought or are fighting in. Mine is my Grandfather! Later.

0 comments: